This is not a packing list. I admit I am not a very organised person, so if you have a packing list please let me know in the comments section. Or come round next Thursday morning and help me throw my stuff into a suit case.
This post is about you, who you are, how you feel about attending and the connection that brings us all together at an event like this which is obviously blogging.
The most important thing to bring is YOU. Bring everything about who you are. I would love to say don’t worry, don’t feel nervous, don’t be scared and don’t feel anxious but I know that is not going to take away how you feel. So just bring exactly how you feel along with you, it is part of who you are.
Although the Problogger events are pretty full on and this can play havoc with nerves and anxiety there is always a quiet spot you can take yourself off to if it all gets a tad overwhelming. Don’t worry about missing a specific talk if you need time out, your ticket gives you the whole day transcript which you can listen to at your leisure and heaps of people will blog about it.
Allow yourself to be you. At an event with so many people we tend to worry about what others may think of us. Let me reassure you that the majority will be thinking about themselves and how they are feeling, not thinking about you (I mean this in the nicest possible way). So sneak off if you need a break, perhaps find someone else who may be feeling “Oh my this is too much I need to get out of here for a while” and go and have a coffee together.
Blogging has many of us sharing huge parts of who we are, which can be deceiving. A confident blogger is not necessarily a confident person in real life. Blogging is easier than talking.
- Anxiety and nerves at events are heightened, you are out of your comfort zone, for many this will ring true, you won’t be on your own feeling like this.
- Don’t stress if you forget people’s names (this one is for me) that’s ok.
- Nervous about approaching someone you really would like to meet? They are probably nervous too.
- Worried about how you will remember everything? Listen to the transcript on your return home.
- Although we are friends on social media we have never met. This can go either way, you may get on fabulously or it may fizzle as occasionally a friendship on social media is not the same in real life. This is ok. It is not you, move on, don’t let it spoil the two day event.
- Scared you may make a fool of yourself by saying or doing something uncool? Let me reassure you I have done this and it’s ok.
- Feeling vulnerable? means you will be yourself. Vulnerability is honesty. Honesty is good.
- Don’t feel afraid of saying “I’m feeling anxious I need a break” Do what you need to do for you.
- Introvert? Pace yourself at the level you feel most comfortable at.
- Shy? Totally cool, take your time.
We are all going to Problogger as we blog. This is what we have in common. Who we are as a person is who we are everyday, bring all of you to the event. Our emotional and mental makeup no matter what it consists of, will play out its part regardless of the situation. Together or if you want to be alone we can wing it.
Martine from The Modern Parent and myself are part of the Problogger team there to meet and greet you and fingers crossed be full of useful information for any questions you may have or directions to which room you want to be in for a particular talk. If you feel you need assistance in anyway do come and see us and we will do our best to help or find a quiet spot for you should you need one.
If you are bringing a baby or toddler and want to be able to have a break or attend a specific talk come see Martine or myself as we are fully qualified to give baby cuddles and play with toddlers.
If you have any tips you care to share if you have anxiety and have attended events before leave a comment as it may just help someone out.